Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Barley, Black Bean and Corn Burritos

This is a nice easy crock-pot recipe. We love it because it tastes good and it's a healthy meal in one.

Place all of the following in the crock pot:
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 c uncooked pearl barley
2 c vegetable broth (Better Than Bullion is my favorite!)
3/4 c frozen corn-kernel corn
1/4 c chopped green onions
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T ground chili powder (I have never added this because I'm not a spice lover)
1/2 t ground red pepper (this either:))
1 garlic clove (But I make up for it with this! I love garlic!)
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro (add this last)

Cook on low for 4-5 hours

Put a 1/4 c or so of the above mixture in each tortilla and add the following:
flour or wheat tortillas
cheddar cheese
lettuce
sour cream

3 comments:

Emma said...

Great recipes, thanks!

adgasdg said...

This recipe worked great! I've made it twice already. The barley and beans make it a very hearty meal. I left out the cilantro because it's out of season here, but it tasted wonderful with some shredded romaine lettuce. I posted a picture of the finished product on my blog, Butler Family Photography.

Gardener said...

super easy recipe and SOOOO GOOD! We loved it.