Sunday, May 13, 2007

"Amish" Cinnamon Rolls

I'm not usually a big cinnamon roll fan, but I just can't seem to get enough of these! It does require some "Amish Friendship Bread" starter, and I have two bags available if you want some. One condition, give some starter back to me with you finish with it!

Enjoy!
Alberta

========================

"Amish" Cinnamon Rolls

In a bowl, combine:
2 cups flour (I like whole wheat flour)
1 cup milk
1 cup "Amish" starter batter

Let sit at room temperature overnight or 10-12 hours. Stir down.

In separate bowl, combine:
3 Tbsp. sugar (I think honey would work as well)
1 egg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder

Stir into dough mixture all at once. Stir in about 2 more cups of flour (whole wheat), then pour dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead in more flour (white this time) until no longer sticky. Roll out to 1/2" thickness in a rectangle shape.

Sprinkle evenly over dough:
1/2 cup butter, cut up
lots of brown sugar
lots of cinnamon, more than you think
lots of nuts, crushed (pecans are my favorite)

Beginning at wide side, roll up and seal seam. Use string to cut 1" to 1 1/2" slices. Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and place rolls inside. Let rise 30 minutes or more. (I've had good success letting them rise overnight!) Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. You can frost them if you want, but they really don't need it!

1 comment:

Gardener said...

these turned out great! Thanks Alberta. I have all this starter and I didn't know what to do with it.